Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chapter 5 Blog - Ask me no questions

"I remember when I was little, crouching in a corner of the playground and hearing a group of girls chant: Ask me no questions. Tell me no lies. That's the policy at school. Ask me no questions, we say silently. And the teachers don't. 'We're not the INS,' I once heard one of them say. 'We're here to teach.' But sometimes I feel like shaking their sleeves and blurting out, Ask me. Please." (pages 29-30)

I think this quote was a good example of how the people act at school and how they respect the other students who may or may not be illegal. It seems as if Nadira needs someone to be there to talk to and share what is going on in her life. Without that, she becomes stressed and it is hard to keep everything a secret.

The teachers don't want to bother the students about their personal issues, so they let them be. I think that is good of them so they don't get too involved in the students lives. It is very good for the illegals because then no one will find out about their secret. I also liked this quote because it included the title in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment