Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chapter 6 Blog

"Before I can help myself, I've jumped up from the table and shoved Aisha's tray back at her so the gravy goes slopping onto her neat buttoned blouse. 'What are you talking about, Aisha?' I whisper hotly. 'You and your little perfect scores and your perfect this and that? Who cares if you're valedictorian? You're not going to college! You're not going anywhere!'
Aisha looks as if I've socked her in the chest. She sits back, breathing hard. Her frizzy hair has straggled loose from her braid. She blinks away a few tears. The others stare at me in shock. Then she picks up her tray, stiffly, and walks down the aisle of tables. I'm left staring at my own tray. Strange, nasty thoughts swarm into my head. I've never made my sister cry before. It seems impossible. Aisha is too strong, too smart for me. But this is different. It's like having a new kind of power, black and ugly, like what Uncle did to me this morning.
And the weird thing is: I like it." (page 51-52)

I chose this quote because it shows how she transforms from the younger sister with low self-confidence, to the girl who has the courage to embarrass her sister. I thought it was good of Nadira to stand up to Aisha, but then that screwed up her relationship with Aisha. Nadira could have agreed to get along with Aisha, but instead, she chose to stay safe and not trust her sister who was known to go back on her word. I felt bad for Aisha in this scene, but I also think she deserved it. It made her be a little less "perfect" and get a sense of how Nadira might feel in that place. I really hope both girls can come into their senses and learn to live with each other.

1 comment:

  1. If I were Aisha there, I would have been so sad and suprised! I know that's what we've kind of wanted Nadira to do (stand up to her sister), but I feel kind-of bad for Aisha. Nice quote choice! :)

    ReplyDelete