Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chapter 17/18 Blog

"And then she says them: the words that have gathered like thunder in our throats. The words that make me afraid to move in my own skin.
'My name is Aisha Hossain. And I am an illegal alien.'" chapter 17, page 150

When Aisha was giving her speech, I thought she was making a huge leap forward. To have the courage to admit everything they have been keeping secret for so long take a lot. I think that Nadira and her parents were secretly wanting someone to tell their secret, but were also worried that something might happen to them when people found out. I'm really happy that Aisha told people the secret because now they don't have to be in hiding. Aisha can finally have a reason to get help financially to go to college, and they can finally have a normal life. I really like the book overall, and I'm glad they could finally be themselves rather than people they're not.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the first two sentences of this quote. They are really powerful and really descriptive!

    ReplyDelete