Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chapter 16 Blog

"Above, the sky looks gray and soupy, like water before a storm. A few pale, weak stars glimmer through. I can feel all of our elders breathing down on us. Ali-Uncle. Naseem-Uncle. I shut my eyes, imagine the dappled swimming pool shot through with sunlight. It's not just about breathing. It's about making yourself clear as water, honest and calm." pages 146-147

In this quote, I liked how she mentioned the people in her life who have left, and she is trying hard to breathe.
I noticed several times the references to water and breathing. I thought the last two sentences were really good at describing one of the main themes of the book. The way she said: "It's about making yourself clear as water, honest and calm," really made me think. Water can be calm and clear, but at other times, it can be murky and disrupted. The comparison to water in this book is fitting because at times, water is calm and clear, but it can change at any moment. All she needs to do to calm the water of her life is just breathe. Breathe, Nadira. Breathe.

There are links, but the color is light blue. The words are in the second paragraph I wrote; first and third sentences. Just wanted to make sure people saw that!

No comments:

Post a Comment